Because of the dangers of smoking, some tout electronic smoking, vaping, as an option for helping smokers to stop smoking cigarettes, but keep in mind that smokers of electronic cigarettes still inhale nicotine, which is the addictive substance in normal tobacco cigarettes.
However, the electronic cigarette has been around for several years now, and though I’m sure it would be a stretch to call it a ‘healthy cigarette’, to date there have been no reports of major issues from using them.
Many people are choosing these alternatives to smoking because of the convenience of being able to ‘light up’ in places where smoking is no longer allowed.
It has been widely known for many years that smoking cigarettes has been the cause of cancer and other deadly diseases amongst smokers and non-smokers alike – there are more than 400,000 smoking-related deaths in the US each year – but in spite of that fact, it is still very hard for many people to stop smoking.
Now, with the electronic cigarette, there is an alternative to smoking that can still give people a very similar experience to smoking cigarettes but without the chemicals and toxins inherent in tobacco cigarettes that make them so deadly – perhaps even making it much easier to quit smoking forever.
And since the only ‘smoke’ that is emitted from the electronic cigarette is actually a harmless, water-based vapor, the fear of second-hand smoke by non-smokers is eliminated. People can ‘light up’ by simply charging their cigarette and then toke away to their hearts content.
By the way, the ingredients in the liquid that comes in the blu cigs cartridges are:
Natural & Artificial Flavors
and Citric Acid
And according to the National Cancer Institute:
Of the more than 7,000 chemicals in tobacco smoke, at least 250 are known to be harmful, including hydrogen cyanide, carbon monoxide, and ammonia.
Among the 250 known harmful chemicals in tobacco smoke, at least 69 can cause cancer. These cancer-causing chemicals include the following:
Beryllium (a toxic metal)
1,3–Butadiene (a hazardous gas)
Cadmium (a toxic metal)
Chromium (a metallic element)
Nickel (a metallic element)
Polonium-210 (a radioactive chemical element)
Other toxic chemicals in tobacco smoke are suspected to cause cancer, including the following (3):
(Just from seeing the difference in the number and types of ingredients contained in each, it should be clear that the dangers of smoking cigarettes are far greater than the dangers of vaping – if there are such dangers.)
Here are some more eye-openers from the National Cancer Institute:
- Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable illness and death in the United States. It causes many different cancers as well as chronic lung diseases, such as emphysema and bronchitis, and heart disease.
- Cigarette smoking causes an estimated 443,000 deaths each year, including approximately 49,400 deaths due to exposure to secondhand smoke.
- Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death among both men and women in the United States, and 90 percent of lung cancer deaths among men and approximately 80 percent of lung cancer deaths among women are due to smoking.
- Smoking causes many other types of cancer, including cancers of the throat, mouth, nasal cavity, esophagus, stomach, pancreas, kidney, bladder, and cervix, and acute myeloid leukemia.
- People who smoke are up to six times more likely to suffer a heart attack than nonsmokers, and the risk increases with the number of cigarettes smoked. Smoking also causes most cases of chronic lung disease.
I feel like it’s safe to assume that many of these issues, as well as some others, can be avoided – or at least minimized – by choosing vaping over smoking tobacco cigarettes.